- Lead & hard metal roofing & cladding
- Restoration & conservation of historic buildings
- Decorative & ornamental leadwork & casting
- Single ply roofing membranes
- Gutter & rainwater systems
- Lead free flashing systems
Q. Bytheway Plumbing & Heating are traditional plumbers employing outstanding craftsmen to complete projects of distinction. Established in the UK in 1982, we have specialised in the design of leadwork for roofing applications and are an award winning member company of the Lead Contractors Association; having consistently attained the association’s highest (Excellent) grade. Our company provides a service of exceptional quality to a wide variety of clients throughout the UK and Europe. Numerous projects have been completed for Conservation Trusts, Authorities & Government Departments, Parish Councils, Commercial Clients and Private Individuals as both prime and sub-contractor.
We are widely respected as specialists in the design and installation of leadwork; however, many of our projects include the use of other sheet metals; copper, zinc, terne coated stainless steel and even pewter have been employed; many projects include more than one of these materials.
We have completed prestigious conservation projects to many of our important and heritage buildings including: –
- Snailbeach Lead Mine – Shropshire (Leadwork)
- Mill Meece Pumping Station – Staffordshire (Leadwork)
- Wythenshawe Hall – Manchester (leadwork)
- Millennium Dome, The Human body – London (zinc)
- The Natural History Museum – London (leadwork)
- Burslem Town Hall – Stoke on Trent (leadwork)
- East Midlands Airport Departure Lounge Bar – Nottingham (pewter)
- Heaton Hall – Manchester (leadwork)
- Coventry Old Town Hall – Coventry (leadwork)
- Serbian Orthodox Church – Bournville Trust (copper)
- Enville Hall – West Midlands (leadwork)
Above are just a few of the historic buildings we are proud to have helped preserve or construct. We have completed work to countless of our country’s historic churches and ecclesiastical buildings and due to the nature of such works, we also carry out traditional slating and tiling along with roof construction and restoration work.
Our expertise as leadwork contractors encompasses traditional bossing and casting techniques with sand cast lead, to modern welding methods using rolled lead sheet to BSEN 12588: 2006. We also manufacture many items in our UK based workshop alongside an on-site installation service. Our ability to design and specify suitable materials for an application assures total compliance with the Lead Sheet Association’s technical publication ‘Rolled Lead Sheet – The Complete Manual’ and Codes of Practice to BS 6915.
All of our operatives receive guidance and training in current health and safety at work procedures and are CSCS registered; additionally, many of our operatives have obtained a Heritage CSCS card.
Whether a small bespoke item for a private individual in the UK or a major construction or restoration project in Europe, North America or worldwide; we will be pleased to provide the assistance and competence required to achieve an outstanding result.